Feb 15 2011

The Hi-Sea on Topsail Island in Surf City (Ocean Front)

The Hi-Sea on Topsail Island in Surf City, North Carolina, has direct ocean access. The three bedroom, two bath, cottage was fully renovated prior to the 2009 rental season. Enjoy relaxing ocean breezes and walks on the beach. The home is pet friendly.


Feb 15 2011

Ocean Views of The Hi-Sea on Topsail Island

The Hi-Sea Direct Ocean Front on Topsail Island in Surf City Deck Photo
The Hi-Sea Direct Ocean Front on Topsail Island in Surf City Deck Photo

The Hi-Sea continues to be one of the most sought after cottages on Topsail Island in Surf City, North Carolina. The home has a tremendous rental history and provides guests with a cozy home away from home.  

 


Oct 1 2014

New Hanover Co. Health Department Begins Offering Flu Shots

WILMINGTON—Starting Tuesday, the New Hanover County Health Department will offer flu shots.

The vaccine is available to anyone from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Flu shots are recommended especially for:

• children
• pregnant woman
• elderly
• people with chronic diseases

Flu season begins in early October and the vaccination can take about two weeks to begin working.

Article source: http://centralnc.twcnews.com/content/news/coastal/712397/new-hanover-co--health-department-begins-offering-flu-shots/


Oct 1 2014

Student Shot Twice After Argument at Albemarle HS; Shooter in Custody

ALBEMARLE, N.C. – An Albemarle Senior High School student was injured in a shooting Tuesday morning in a courtyard outside the school.

Chief William Halliburton said the incident happened around 7:45 a.m. following an argument between two male students.

The 17-year-old victim has been identified as Bernard Miller. Police are not releasing the name of the suspect because he is a juvenile.

Within minutes of receiving the call, nearly two dozen law enforcement officers from the county, city, highway patrol and other jurisdictions responded to the school.

The chief said a juvenile shot the 17 year old male twice, in the hip and lower abdomen. Miller is currently receiving medical attention and is in stable condition.

The chief says the shooter dropped the gun and turned himself in immediately to the principal after officers arrived.

The school was briefly placed on lockdown and students were picked up at North Albemarle Baptist Church. Classes were canceled for the day as authorities worked to uncover exactly what happened.

“We worked with the school to get the school evacuated and get parents to pick students up and had the school evacuated in an hour and a half so it went very very smoothly,” Halliburton said.

Friends say they were shocked to learn a shooting happened at their school and that Miller was targeted.

“He don’t get into a lot of trouble like that…it’s crazy,” said one student.

“I knew both of them – and you wouldn’t expect something like this,” said another student.

Police say they’re investigating reports that the two got into another fight a few days ago.

The suspect is currently charged with assault with a deadly weapon. He could face additional charges including attempted murder.

Halliburton said he is impressed with how his department and other surrounding agencies responded to the call.

A panic button had been installed at the school over the summer as part of an effort to increase school security. Authorities say it helped significantly.

Stanly County Schools Superintendent Terry Griffin says there will be a full debriefing of the situation to learn as much from this incident as possible, should another ever occur.

Soon after the shooting, the hashtag #prayersforalbemarle began trending locally on Twitter.

Shawn Flynn has more on the social media response to this shooting:


TWC News: Student Shot Twice After Argument at Albemarle HS; Shooter in Custody
Play now

Article source: http://triadnc.twcnews.com/content/news/charlotte/712381/student-shot-twice-after-argument-at-albemarle-hs--shooter-in-custody/


Oct 1 2014

Panel Considers Changes to State Public Records Law to Include Video

GREENSBORO – Greensboro hopes to play a role in a rewrite of the state’s public records law in the wake of advances in video technology. City leaders held a panel discussion and heard from attorneys on complex issues including police video surveillance, body-worn cameras and concerns of privacy.

The attorneys and city leaders came to the discussion knowing well that video technology and its use had raced far beyond the state’s public records law.

“So we thought it would be good to convene this panel to look at what changes might need to be made to legislation,” said Mayor Nancy Vaughan. “What we’re looking to do is come up with model legislation that other cities would like to adopt.”

They said the law should clearly spell out when captured video such as that from a body-worn camera belongs in the public domain.

“Because it’s the best evidence that we have in a police department of what an officer is doing and it’s the best evidence that a member of the public has of what happened during any given interaction,” said Scott Greenwood, a civil rights attorney.

They said the law should address privacy concerns and law enforcement’s need to conduct an investigation without public glare.

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina said body-worn cameras were helping to limit the use of force and the number of frivolous claims, but failing to update the law based on technological advances will have consequences.

“That we can’t expect everyone to be governed by the letter, let alone the spirit of the law,” said the organization’s Christopher Brooks.

There are more than 700 city-owned video cameras scattered around Greensboro and body-worn cameras are a fixture on the police department’s uniformed officers. The department hoped a retooled public records law will strike a balance.

“That meets the community needs and wants as well as the police needs and wants because there’s wins on both sides of that,” said Deputy Chief Wayne Scott.

A retired public interest attorney said lawmakers should shape the law with one overarching principle.

“The right of the public should transcend all of the other competing interests,” said Lewis Pitts.

Vaughan said city leaders would review information and feedback received on the public records law. They also would consider ideas from other cities before recommending changes in the law to state lawmakers.

Article source: http://coastalnc.twcnews.com/content/news/triad/712405/panel-considers-changes-to-state-public-records-law-to-include-video/


Oct 1 2014

NC DOT Planning to Deepen Cape Fear River



WILMINGTON — The N.C. State Ports Authority has asked the Army Corps of Engineers to study potentially deepening the shipping channel in Wilmington.

Maintenance dredging in the Cape Fear River is one thing, but efforts to make it deeper and wider in order to make it more accessible to larger ships drives in concern for the Save the Cape organization.

“We believe it’s risky,” said Toby Bronstein with Save the Cape.

Risky because if they dig too deep she said they could penetrate the drinking water aquifer. If they widen it, they could hit a contaminated site, and it all comes with a price tag in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

“All for the sake of two ships a week, that’s all we get at the Port of Wilmington are two panamax-sized vessels a week,” said Bronstein.

The NCDOT didn’t mention anything about studying the potential of widening the Wilmington Harbor, but said the study on deepening the channel will address these concerns.

“There is a standard cost-benefit threshold that the project would have to meet—that would actually determine the potential depth,” said Mike Charbonneau, NCDOT deputy secretary, communications. “That study will examine in detail a host of environmental and funding issues associated with several depths.”

With the ports still owning a piece of property in Southport once slated for a megaport, Bronstein worries this could lead to that effort resurfacing.

But all the DOT said was, “South Carolina, Georgia and Florida are all actively upgrading their state ports to meet changing industry demands and North Carolina must respond as well.”

Bronstein believes the state shouldn’t compare itself to these markets.

“We were actually thrilled when they decided to focus on their core business which is wood pellets, which is agriculture, which is bulk because that is where they can succeed, and we want them to succeed. They cannot succeed in the container business,” said Bronstein.

She said Save the Cape will make it their business to stop the state from deepening the Wilmington Harbor.

Article source: http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/coastal/712389/nc-dot-planning-to-deepen-cape-fear-river/


Oct 1 2014

Albemarle Senior High School on Lockdown After Shooting

ALBEMARLE, N.C. – An Albemarle Senior High School student was injured in a shooting Tuesday morning in a courtyard outside the school.

Chief William Halliburton said the incident happened around 7:45 a.m. following an argument between two male students.

The 17-year-old victim has been identified as Bernard Miller. Police are not releasing the name of the suspect because he is a juvenile.

Within minutes of receiving the call, nearly two dozen law enforcement officers from the county, city, highway patrol and other jurisdictions responded to the school.

The chief said a juvenile shot the 17 year old male twice, in the hip and lower abdomen. Miller is currently receiving medical attention and is in stable condition.

The chief says the shooter dropped the gun and turned himself in immediately to the principal after officers arrived.

The school was briefly placed on lockdown and students were picked up at North Albemarle Baptist Church. Classes were canceled for the day as authorities worked to uncover exactly what happened.

“We worked with the school to get the school evacuated and get parents to pick students up and had the school evacuated in an hour and a half so it went very very smoothly,” Halliburton said.

Friends say they were shocked to learn a shooting happened at their school and that Miller was targeted.

“He don’t get into a lot of trouble like that…it’s crazy,” said one student.

“I knew both of them – and you wouldn’t expect something like this,” said another student.

Police say they’re investigating reports that the two got into another fight a few days ago.

The suspect is currently charged with assault with a deadly weapon. He could face additional charges including attempted murder.

Halliburton said he is impressed with how his department and other surrounding agencies responded to the call.

A panic button had been installed at the school over the summer as part of an effort to increase school security. Authorities say it helped significantly.

Stanly County Schools Superintendent Terry Griffin says there will be a full debriefing of the situation to learn as much from this incident as possible, should another ever occur.

Soon after the shooting, the hashtag #prayersforalbemarle began trending locally on Twitter.

Shawn Flynn has more on the social media response to this shooting:


TWC News: Student Shot Twice After Argument at Albemarle HS; Shooter in Custody
Play now

Article source: http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/712381/albemarle-senior-high-school-on-lockdown-after-shooting/


Oct 1 2014

One Person Shot at Albemarle Senior High School

ALBEMARLE, N.C. – An Albemarle Senior High School student was injured in a shooting Tuesday morning in a courtyard outside the school.

Chief William Halliburton said the incident happened around 7:45 a.m. following an argument between two male students.

The 17-year-old victim has been identified as Bernard Miller. Police are not releasing the name of the suspect because he is a juvenile.

Within minutes of receiving the call, nearly two dozen law enforcement officers from the county, city, highway patrol and other jurisdictions responded to the school.

The chief said a juvenile shot the 17 year old male twice, in the hip and lower abdomen. Miller is currently receiving medical attention and is in stable condition.

The chief says the shooter dropped the gun and turned himself in immediately to the principal after officers arrived.

The school was briefly placed on lockdown and students were picked up at North Albemarle Baptist Church. Classes were canceled for the day as authorities worked to uncover exactly what happened.

“We worked with the school to get the school evacuated and get parents to pick students up and had the school evacuated in an hour and a half so it went very very smoothly,” Halliburton said.

Friends say they were shocked to learn a shooting happened at their school and that Miller was targeted.

“He don’t get into a lot of trouble like that…it’s crazy,” said one student.

“I knew both of them – and you wouldn’t expect something like this,” said another student.

Police say they’re investigating reports that the two got into another fight a few days ago.

The suspect is currently charged with assault with a deadly weapon. He could face additional charges including attempted murder.

Halliburton said he is impressed with how his department and other surrounding agencies responded to the call.

A panic button had been installed at the school over the summer as part of an effort to increase school security. Authorities say it helped significantly.

Stanly County Schools Superintendent Terry Griffin says there will be a full debriefing of the situation to learn as much from this incident as possible, should another ever occur.

Soon after the shooting, the hashtag #prayersforalbemarle began trending locally on Twitter.

Shawn Flynn has more on the social media response to this shooting:


TWC News: Student Shot Twice After Argument at Albemarle HS; Shooter in Custody
Play now

Article source: http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/712381/one-person-shot-at-albemarle-senior-high-school/


Sep 30 2014

NC doctor's license suspended for drug use

SURF CITY, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina doctor’s license has been suspended for improper drug use.

Multiple media outlets reported that the North Carolina Medical Board also has fined Dr. Timothy Han of Surf City $5,000

The medical board said Han self-prescribed and self-administered testosterone, tested positive for anabolic steroids and suffered from opiate abuse.

The board also concluded earlier this month that Han did not meet standards of medical practice in North Carolina. Han has offices in Wilmington and Jacksonville.

Han denies the charges. He says he refused to sign a consent order from the medical board because he would be committing perjury if he did so.

The medical board said the investigation began in 2012. Surf City police found various medicines and other items in a search of his home.

Article source: http://www.reflector.com/ap/staten/nc-doctors-license-suspended-drug-use-2668313


Sep 30 2014

Surf City doctor loses license to practice medicine

SURF CITY, NC (WECT) -

A Surf City doctor has lost his medical license for a year due to issues outside of his practice.

Dr. Timothy Han had his license suspended and was fined $5,000 after the North Carolina Medical Board found him “unable to practice medicine with reasonable skill and safety to patients.”

According to an order issued by the NC Medical Board earlier this month, Han was found to have been self prescribing and self administering steroids, including testosterone. The order states Han was also involved in a dispute with his wife. Han admitted to throwing a water bottle at his wife during an argument.

The Medical Board’s investigation into Han goes back to 2012.

Han is eligible to apply for reinstatement to practice medicine in North Carolina, but even if he meets the requirements set by the North Carolina Board of Medicine, the board does not have to approve his application.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

Article source: http://www.wect.com/story/26659952/surf-city-doctor-loses-license-to-practice-medicine


Sep 30 2014

Surf City doctor's license suspended for drug use, substandard care, conduct

SURF CITY, NC (WWAY) — A Surf City doctor’s license has been suspended after the NC Medical Board says he violated several standards for being a doctor in North Carolina, including drug abuse, substandard care and conduct issues.

Dr. Timothy Han’s license is suspended indefinitely. He must also pay a fine of $5,000.

Han agreed in August 2013 not to practice medicine until the Medical Board cleared him. He was later diagnosed as an opiate abuser, which a doctor who examined Han said keeps Han from safely practicing medicine. The Medical Board agreed.

Click here to see the Medical Board’s report about Han

In December 2012 Surf City Police arrested Han for domestic assault after a fight with his wife. Police searched his two homes and seized two travel bags with three handguns, vials with various medicines, one vial with an unknown substance, a hand-written ledger, spring loaded knives and $22,000 in cash. Police also found documents showing Han had ordered anabolic steroids from the Republic of Moldova and had them shipped to his practice.

Han, who practices addiction and anti-aging medicine, used surplus testosterone from the supply intended for his patients, the Medical Board says. The board’s report says he told a Medical Board investigator he had his brother, a doctor in Wisconsin, write him a prescription for testosterone, but he never filled it. He could not provide the prescription or the medical chart his brother created when he wrote the prescription.

A May 2013 drug testing required by the Medical Board revealed two anabolic steroids in Han’s system. The drugs trenbolone and boldenone are illegal without a prescription, which Han did not have. The Medical Board report says Surf City police found what appears to be schedules for cycling on and off steroids at Han’s home.

The report also includes allegations Han provided substandard care for his patients, and that after he got out of jail he spent a night or two at the home of a female patient, who gave him some of her prescription medicine to help with the opiate withdrawal Han said he started to experience in jail.

Han must wait a year until he can reapply for his license. First, though, he must provide evidence of treatment for psychiatric and substance abuse problems.

The Medical Board met in August to consider Han’s case and issued its decision last week. Han did not attend the hearing. Monday he told the StarNews the accusations were untrue and that the Medical Board has an agenda.

There is still an active police investigation in to Han and his suspected involvement in illegal drug activities, according to the Medical Board’s report.

Article source: http://www.wwaytv3.com/2014/09/30/surf-city-doctors-license-suspended-for-drug-use-substandard-care-conduct


Sep 30 2014

Capital Tonight Sept. 29: Political tension in Moldova

On Capital Tonight: A delegation from Moldova visits North Carolina this week as part of a political exchange program through the Secretary of State’s office. We speak with two political bloggers about tension in their country and the region in Eastern Europe. Erik Spanberg of the Charlotte Business Journal and Lynn Bonner of the News Observer of Raleigh join the reporter roundtable.

Article source: http://triadnc.twcnews.com/content/politics/712370/capital-tonight-sept--29--political-tension-in-moldova/